Friday, March 27, 2009

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

I listen to a lot of books on tape, in addition to reading paper versions.  Most of them are about philosophy, atheism, secularism, science and history but every once and a while I like a good biography and Kitchen Confidential is fantastic.

I’m not what I would call a “foodie”.  I know who Gordon Ramsay and Padma are, the difference between a leek and an onion and what a sous-chef is but that is the extent of my culinary repartee.  I thought most of this book would be lost on me but after listening to it, some chapters more than once, I think Anthony and I would have quite a good time together, should we ever meet.

I had no idea he had such a colorful past, read into this he was a very bad boy and isn’t shy about discussing it.  He had a slew of horrid jobs with failing restaurants, some of which he helped to tank, battling alcohol and drugs and banging lots of women along the way.  

Anthony has led a very colorful and sometimes dangerous, life that he shares in great detail with amazing wit.

The audio book is read by the author and he does a wonderful job (unlike Stephen King who should never be allowed to read his own books out loud, or any book for that matter!)  I found myself even forgoing my hour nap on the train ride to LA every morning so that I could listen to it, it’s just that good.

I will NEVER EVER eat eggs Benedict at a restaurant again, or order fish on a Monday, or a lot of other things.  This book was a real joy to listen to and made me laugh a lot.  If you’re looking for something to listen to between the Portable Atheist and your favorite secular podcast I highly recommend this book.

Anthony Bourdain’s Personal Website

Anthony Bourdain Wikipedia

Authors@Google: Anthony Bourdain

Travel Channel Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment